ASUS introduced the flagship ROG Phone 5 with 18 GB of RAM, top processor, 144Hz screen and multiple gaming processor software solutions.
Based on the chip Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 for eight cores with a frequency of up to 2.84 GHz and a graphics core Adreno 660…
He will be given from 8 to 18 GB of LPDDR5 RAM. According to ASUS, this is enough to overtake all current flagships, including the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra and Xiaomi Mi11 with a similar processor.
In internal tests, the ROG Phone 5 beats the competition not only in benchmarks like AnTuTu, but also in real applications. For example, in Genshin impact it produces 55 FPS versus 46.7 FPS for Xiaomi and 39.94 FPS for Samsung.
To achieve these results, ASUS has paid a lot of attention to cooling. The chip was placed in the center of the case, covered with a copper evaporation chamber with active cooling. Included with some versions of phones will be a small cradle with a small fan, which is recommended to be plugged in during the game.
The new software also fights against overheating. The phone will receive several work profiles that you can switch between on the fly.
Iron gives maximum indicators in modes X Mode and X Mode +, and here is the setting Ultra-Durable Mode will put the device into a balanced mode – in it both the performance is better and the operating time is maximum. ASUS claims that mobile League of legends the novelty lasts up to 8.5 hours. Xiaomi Mi11 has up to 5 hours.
There are a few more nuances associated with the battery:
- two batteries – 3000 mAh each. They are located on either side of the processor
- Fast charging up to 65W is supported, which can boost the battery from zero to one hundred percent in 51 minutes.
- ASUS promises to take care of the battery life, as well as the convenience of playing on a charge.
As in previous models, the USB port of the ROG Phone is located in the center of the right side, and during the game the phone can go into slow charging mode so that the case does not overheat.
Plus the function is implemented bypass: When playing, the phone does not use batteries, but is powered directly from USB. Finally, the user can limit the charge level of the batteries in order to extend their life, as well as set the slow charging time.
There will also be an overlay for games with several interesting features.
The most useful is the automatic “do not disturb” mode, which not only turns off notifications and unnecessary sounds, but also blocks the possibility of accidentally leaving the game or switching to another application.
It is also possible to change colors to highlight enemies in the background and tie the vibration motor to the game sounds.
In addition, ASUS has worked on game controls. As in previous versions, there are ultrasonic bumpers on the left side under the index fingers, to which gaming functions can be tied. On the cradle with a fan, two physical keys were added.
To top it off, ASUS is implementing the ability to use a gyroscope to bind actions. Its functions can be assigned to the movement of the phone to the left, right, up and down.
Accessories will not go anywhere either. On sale will be a clip for Microsoft gamepads, as well as its own gamepad-cradle. Old accessories will be supported, but not all. So, for example, the most expensive cradle with a second screen, which was presented with the first version of the smartphone, will go into the past.
The display was also sharpened for games: a matrix from Samsung – This is Full HD AMOLED at 6.78 inches with a frequency of 144 Hz, a response time of 1 ms and support for HDR. Separately, ASUS notes the polling speed of touch sensors. It reaches 300 Hz and can reduce latency to 24.3 ms.
The phone will also receive an advanced sound system:
- these are two speakers measuring 12×16 mm, located symmetrically at the top and bottom. A special program will be responsible for the stereo picture, excluding the intersection of sound waves;
- the phone will be equipped with a DAC ESS ES9280AC Pro with 3.5 mm headset output up to 600 Ohm;
- the device will receive a software add-on with a full equalizer and several sound presets for movies, games and music;
- the phone uses a system of four microphones.
The launch of ROG Phone 5 will take place in three phases:
- Basic version coming in black and white in March
- will be released in April Pro-bundle, which will contain the same cradle with a fan
- version planned for may Ultimate Fan Gift Edition, in which, in addition to the fan, will be put a lot of nice accessories like a baseball cap, a towel and patches with ROG logos.
Prices will be as follows:
- 72,000 rubles for the basic version with 8 GB LPDDR5 and 128 GB SSD,
- 81,000 rubles for 12 GB LPDDR5 and 256 GB SSD,
- 90,000 rubles for 16 GB LPDDR5 and 512 GB SSD,
- 108,000 rubles for a PRO set with a fan, 16 GB LPDDR5 and 512 GB SSD,
- 117,000 rubles for the Ultimate kit with 18 GB LPDDR5 and 512 GB SSD.
More on review